The Advisory is a unique approach to education and one which draws upon best practice from Primary and International School systems. The Advisory is a pod/class of 25 students with two ‘Advisor’ teachers attached. The same teacher supports students within their Advisory lessons and for elements of their Core, Exploratory and Extended curriculum. This is so that Advisors, as both teacher and mentor, have a thorough understanding of each individual in their care, building strong and long-lasting relationships.
The Advisor remains fixed throughout the student’s time at IAG ensuring the development of an ever deeper and productive learning relationship. This approach aids transitions between primary and secondary and maintains a strong relationship between students and adult. Within an Advisory session the following occurs across a week;
- The advisor will mentor individuals and their Team, guiding their social, emotional and academic development
- The advisor will facilitate our approach to shared daily reading and to cultural exchange
- The advisor will monitor a student’s progress, their e-portfolio and help learners to shape their Personalised Learning Plan (revised every Term)
- The advisor will support students in the completion of their personal study and Individual Project as they move into the Professional Pathways Programme
- The advisor will deliver our Global Citizenship curriculum (PSHE and SMSC)
Above all the Advisor is a fixed point of reference for students, parents and guardians. It makes communication within and with our school much easier than in most and supports our commitment to democracy and transparency.
If you have a question about your child’s progress and overall wellbeing please contact one of your child’s Advisors.